Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Prophetic Word

David is well-known as a shepherd, poet, musician, military leader, adulterer, city planner, and king. He united the tribes of Israel to form a viable nation. He established Jerusalem as Israel’s capital—and its centrality became a key Scriptural concept. He collected materials for the temple that his son Solomon would build and he made extensive plans for the design of the building. When he brought the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem, David established temple liturgy.

Among all his accomplishments, however, David's prophetic messages are rarely emphasized. But Psalm 22, written by David, is a key prophetic image. It provides a vivid picture of Christ’s crucifixion: My God, My God, why have You forsaken me. . . ? I am poured out like water, and all My bones are out of joint . . . They pierced My hands and My feet; I can count all My bones. They look and stare at Me. They divide My garments among them, and for My clothing they cast lots. (Ps. 22:1-8 NKJV)

Jesus learned Scripture as a child and He would have frequently quoted many Old Testament passages. He must have identified with David because many prophecies identified Him as the son of David. He knew all about the accomplishments of his forbearer.

Jesus also would have been familiar with Psalm 22, and He must have understood it as a prophecy related to His death. Although the rabbis or teachers of His time did not recognize a suffereing Savior, Jesus had a greater revelation than the rabbis. He knew how Romans killed people, and He knew how He would die. He told His disciples exactly what would happen to Him.

Jesus understood and received the prophetic Word of God.

Originally published March 6, 1987.

No comments: