Tuesday, September 29, 2009

God's Displeasure















King David brought the loosely-knit tribes of Israel together and formed them into a world power. During his reign, enemies on every side were subdued and humbled. Wealth poured into the nation's coffers.

But God never stopped dealing with David as an individual. In spite of all his accomplishments, David was still a human being and a sinner.

Psalm 39 reveals the inner struggles of a man who had to deal with the reality of sin and its consequences. David was weighed down by God’s displeasure. He said, You rebuke and discipline men for their sin . . . I dwell with you as an alien, a stranger. . . . (Ps. 39:11,12 NIV)

Is it possible that, at some point, David thought his position as king placed him on a pedestal of sorts? Perhaps he felt he no longer needed to face his sin. When God began to deal with him, his first thought was to hide his wrongdoing. He said, I will watch my ways. . . . (v. 1)

But it did not work. He describes what happened: My heart grew hot within me, and as I meditated, the fire burned. . . . (v. 3) Those of us who have tried to walk this road can only smile ruefully in recognition. The pain is real.

Out of pure desperation, David changed his direction. He turned his thoughts toward God and he opened up his heart for scrutiny by this God who offered salvation. He prayed, But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you. Save me. . . . (v. 7)

Originally published September 9, 1983 and September 5, 1986.
Picture: Palm trees, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2008. Photo by Solveig.

No comments: