Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Place of Refuge and Danger

The introduction to Psalm 18 tells us that David wrote this psalm when he was finally free from the attacks of many enemies, including Saul. It recounts some a strategic lesson he learned during the years when he found refuge in a wilderness.

After leaving Nob, David fled to the rock caves of Adullum, so he could have had a specific image in mind when he wrote, God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. (Ps. 18:2b NIV) He describes his desperate circumstance: The chords of the grave coiled around me; the snare of death confronted me. In my distress I called to the Lord. . . . (v. 5b, 6a)

But then we read, the foundations of the mountains shook. . . . (v. 7b) The rocks that had provided shelter had become a place of danger!

This can happen when we cry out to God. He might provide a place of refuge. But later, when we cry out again, He might answer by shaking the very things He gave us for security in the past. That’s when we’re called to draw from His abiding presence. David wrote, He reached down from on high and took hold of me . . . the Lord was my support. (v. 16,18)

His circumstances had changed, but his God had not.

The same holds true today. Everything around us can seem to crumble when things don’t fit our doctrine or theology—our concept of God. But His reality is bigger than circumstances. He is bigger than we can imagine. He is with us through the depths.

Originally published August 5, 1988.

2 comments:

Monica Sharman said...

I actually didn't know about this place until I read your post about it at the other blog. Circumstances change, but God does not -- thank God! It will be interesting to see where He leads you out of this threshold you're in.
Monica

Solveig said...

Thank you Monica. Isn't it wonderful that He is faithful.