Friday, May 8, 2009

A Type of War

When we decide to follow God, many aspects of our lives change because our desires and goals change. Nevertheless, deposits of the former life remain hidden deep in our hearts. Although we might try to forget them, those former desires and goals will hang around to trouble us.

God knows all about holdovers from our past. He can arrange circumstances to remind us of hidden motives—bring them to our conscious minds. When this happens, we experience a type of war. Paul described it this way: For what I want to do, I do not do, but what I hate I do . . . What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? (Rom. 7:15,24 NKJV)

Every Christian is acquainted with the struggle. But just as God knows how to expose hidden motives, He knows how to help us deal with them. When we walk with Him, we know we’re forgiven and acceptable in His eyes. This gives us courage, and it causes us to respond to Him. Then He somehow works to bring about internal change.

Through the struggle, we can rest because we know His promise. [T]here is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus [who] set me free from the law of sin and death. (Rom. 8:1,2b)

Originally published July 21, 1989.

2 comments:

sojourner said...

"Every Christian is acquainted with the struggle" Indeed, i am a soldier in that war until i receive my discharge from this place.

Solveig said...

Isn't it good to share our struggles with others.