Thursday, April 16, 2009

People Who Love Him













Thomas had trouble believing Jesus was resurrected from the dead. When the other disciples insisted Jesus had appeared to them, Thomas declared, “Except I see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.” (Jn. 20:25b KJV)

A graphic statement of resistance and unbelief. And yet, Thomas loved Jesus and he couldn’t get past his desire to be with Jesus—he even wanted to be with the other disciples as all of them struggled to find their way in their strange new circumstances.

Jesus knew about Thomas’ statement of unbelief, but He also knew Thomas’ heart. And Jesus goes out of His way to reveal Himself to people who love Him.

When Jesus came to the group again, Thomas was present. Then Jesus spoke directly to Thomas. “Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side, and be not faithless, but believing.” (v. 27)

Thomas, emotionally overcome by the encounter, answered and said unto Him, “My Lord and my God.” (v. 28b) His unbelief was shattered by a Word from God.

Originally published May 12, 1989.
Picture: Roses, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2008. Photo by Solveig.

No comments: