Saturday, April 4, 2009

His Father's Plan




















Imagine riding triumphantly into Jerusalem knowing that crucifixion was in your immediate future. Jesus understood prophecy, and He knew what what was going to happen to Him. He had learned Scriptures as a child and knew many passages that foretold His future. Perhaps Psalm 22 was vivid in His mind: I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. . . . (Ps. 22:14 NKJV)

Nevertheless, Jesus steadfastly rode the donkey forward to meet His destiny. What did He think as He looked out over the large crowd? He could have avoided both the time of praise as He entered the city and the time of confrontation with the Pharisees that would follow.

If He had, He would have avoided His Father’s plan. So He went forward, fulfilling Old Testament prophecy and fulfilling what He had said of Himself earlier: I lay down my life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down. . . . (Jn. 10:17b,18a NKJV)

Originally published March 21, 1986
Picture: Landscape, Las Vegas, NV, 2008. Photo by Solveig.

No comments: