Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Jesus, the I AM

Using the I am phrase was a serious matter for the people who heard Jesus. In their early history as a nation, Moses turned to see a burning bush. That’s when God identified Himself by saying to Moses, “I am the God of thy father. . . .” (Ex. 3:6 KJV) When Moses asked God for His name God said, “I AM THAT I AM:” and he said, “Thus shalt thou say until the children of Israel, “I AM hath sent me unto you.” (Ex. 3:6,14,15 KJV)

So Jesus shook everyone when He said, “Before Abraham was, I am.” (Jn. 8:58b KJV) The statement made during a controversy with Jewish leaders was a statement of His eternal existence, of His position in the Godhead.

Jesus used the terminology on other occasions as well. Before Lazarus rose from the dead Jesus said, “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. . . .” (Jn. 11:25 KJV)

And when Thomas wanted to know the way, Jesus replied, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (Jn. 14:6 KJV)

Originally published April 16, 1982.

No comments: