Friday, January 23, 2009

God Incarnate

Jesus revealed that He believed He was God Incarnate when He said, “I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, He will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.” (Jn. 6:51 NKJV)

The claims of the statement are fantastic and audacious. Jesus was saying He had come from heaven, even though it was well known that He had grown up and lived most of His adult life as a resident of Palestine. He was claiming to be the key to eternal life, a concept about which even the religious leaders of His time could not agree. And He was referring to a sacrifice that would save the entire world, a sacrifice no one could understand because He had not yet died on the cross.

Jesus' claims were absurd in the ears of all who heard Him. They were guaranteed to confuse the general population and antagonize the religious leaders or the powers-that-be.

Jesus risked everything for Truth.

Originally published January 15, 1993

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I was born on this side of the cross!!!