Monday, August 10, 2009

There Was the Glory

God revealed His mercy and provision in many ways during the Israelites’ extended journey from Egypt to Canaan. Even the cloud that remained with them was a visible sign of His glory. It not only led the people; it revealed something about God’s nature. During the dark desert nights, fire from the cloud provided light. During hot days, the cloud provided shade from the hot desert sun. Some say the cloud provided an image of the blessings we receive through Jesus.

At one time, when the people grumbled because they were hungry, Moses and Aaron brought the people into a position where they would listen. Then, While Aaron was speaking to the whole Israelite community, they looked toward the desert, and there was the glory of the Lord appearing in the cloud. (Ex. 16:10 NIV)

The glory of God demonstrated God’s ability to be God. The people hadn’t remembered that He could take care of them. Instead of asking Him to provide food, they grumbled against Moses. But God surprised them by revealing His nature. He wowed them with a visual image of His glory. That night he sent meat in the form of birds, and in the morning the people discovered manna.

Originally published July 22, 1988.

2 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Visions of glory, yes. Why do I sometimes only see the darkness...

Solveig said...

I hear you. I think "darkness" is endemic to the human experience. A friend shared something several years ago that opened me up to a different perspective. She lives in constant pain and other aspects of life haven't turned out as she expected, either. Yet she talked about the undergirding joy she experienced that carried her through--as though it was normal and something understood. I didn't at the time, but she looked up to me and I didn't want to burst her bubble--so I said nothing.

On my own, however, I began searching and discovered that if I'm quiet before Him, I find joy. It's not based on experience or wht we consider reality--it's within, an emotion of the spirit. Since then I've been able to call upon it for strength many times. Sometimes it's harder to get to that place than other times, but if I focus on Him, I can find it. She gave me a great gift and I've never told her what a difference it has made. I'll have to do that and thank her. Immediately! So thank you for prompting me.